Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mexican Flan or Caramel Custard

Whenever we have a Mexican meal with guests I always make flan for dessert. We rarely have any left-overs - Dawson inhaling what's left. This time Aaron and Dawson divided what was left.

FLAN
6 eggs
3 C milk
1/2 C sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Mix this all together for pouring in the pan

Caramel sugar for coating the pan
1/2 C sugar melted in a skillet
Stir this frequently. I like using a wooden spatula. You want it a deep amber color, but not burnt. Immediately pour this into the greased pan.

I like using a bundt pan for flan (as you can see, I didn't this time. My recipe amount did not fit this pan. I have to get a new pan). Pregrease it. Heat the oven to 325 degrees. Find a pan the flan pan will fit in and put about 1/2" hot water in it. Pour in the caramelized sugar, it doesn't need to coat the pan, cooking will distribute it. Pour in the flan ingredients. Bake about 1 hour, till a knife inserted in center comes out clean. Remove the pan from the hot water and set on rack to cool. Then refrigerate until cold. I usually get this done in the morning, so I don't have to think about it with meal prep.

When ready to serve, loosen the edges with the tip of a knife. Cover the pan with a large serving plate and invert. It usually releases right away, or will in a bit.

I'd heard that if you make a good dessert, and have a good appetizer, your meal will be a success - like focus on those first.

1 comment:

PEG O'MALLEY said...

Karey ... our Basque neighbors make flan and add a little orange flavor to it. It is wonderful. Just a variation on the theme.

PEG O'MALLEY

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...