Thursday, September 16, 2010

Baked Kale Chips

WOW!!! Another recipe from AllRecipes.com. My first words after first tasting, and eating more and more while waiting for my Artisan bread to finish baking and we'd sit down to eat supper - "Addicting"! What a good thing to be addicting: kale!! Kale is probably the most nutritious green you can be eating. All year round we add kale to our salad making. I blanch and freeze my garden kale for adding to stews, soups, lasanga ... or just sauteing.

BAKED KALE CHIPS
1 bunch kale
That's all they say. Most store bunches seem about the same size year round. I should weigh a bunch to see how much kale it actually is. You should wash and spin dry store-bought kale. They cut out the thick stems and rip up; I just ripped the leaves up and away from the stem, putting them in a large bowl for tossing with -
1 Tb olive oil
1 tsp salt
Bake the spread kale on parchment lined baking sheets at 350 for 10-15 minutes, till edges brown but not burn.


I sprinkled them with granulated garlic too. Next time we don't want to use the salt, just the garlic, or our Chef Prudhomme's spunky Italian Seasoning. We froze some and it remained crispy! So guess what? ... I've still got tons of kale in the garden! and I'm going to make tons of these kale chips, bag in sandwich bags, and freeze in a box or one of my freezer baskets - so they don't get squashed.

I'm munching on a bag I test-froze right now as I'm writing this post. Yummmm .....

4 comments:

Tracey McBride ~ Frugal Luxuries® said...

I found you through Brenda at Coffee Tea Books and Me...and just had to say how much I appreciate this post! We are in total agreement on the deliciousness of kale chips! However, it's so good to know they keep their crispiness when frozen! We can stock up the freezer with them for future treats. Thanks so much.
Warmly,
Tracey
x0x

Karey Swan said...

I'm glad you found me, Tracey, and something I could offer ...

but I don't know how you found me thru BatCTBandMe ... maybe somewhere else? I'm curious as to what drew you?

I've given so many bags of Kale Chips to people and everyone likes them.

KrystaSwygart said...

how long do the chips stay fresh frozen? I have a lot of kale and I was thinking of making chips but wanted to be able to freeze it. Thank you.

Karey Swan said...

We consumed them, and can't remember how long they'd been in the freezer. But I'm now doing things differently ...

I dehydrate the kale chips at a lower temp since raw foodists never dry anything above 110-115 so the enzymes remain alive. When dry, since these are so fragile, rather than bag them up I put them in canning jars and vacuum seal them. Just like bagged, these can be opened and resealed if need be. But then there's always a jar to access on the pantry shelf.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...