Friday, September 3, 2010

Zucchini Pie

Grease a 9" glass pie dish
Whisk together
4 eggs
1/4 C oil
1tsp baking powder
salt and pepper
1 C baking mix (like Bisquick - I'll give you my proportions of making it up fresh for this dish below)
3 C grated summer squash
1/4 C chopped onion

Pour in greased dish. Arrange 1 sliced tomato on top and sprinkle 1/4 C parmesan. Bake about 35 minutes at 350 degrees, till puffed and golden.

I don't use Bisquick because it's white flour and shortening. You can make up your own with whole grain flours and butter or organic shortening which is palm oil. I looked in my cookbook at the Mile High Biscuit recipe and guessed on proportions for this dish using 1 C whole wheat flour, 1 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp sugar, pinch of cream of tartar and 1/4 C butter - cutting this mixture together till fine crumb, either by hand with a pastry blender or in a food processor.

In my cookbook I often mention not using whole wheat flour all the time. So many things made with flour can be made from other grains so we don't overdose on wheat, becoming gluten intolerant. Yeast bread is the only thing requiring some wheat (or kamut or spelt). Muffins, biscuits, pancakes, cookies ... can be made using other flours. Since I grind my own grains I usually have other flours in ziplock bags in the freezer. Oat, millet, and barley flours are mild sweet flours. Buckwheat is distinct (it's not really a grain but a vegetable). Rice flour is what's typically found in stores. Quinoa and amaranth are high protein grains with distinct flavors too.

We like more tomatoes on this than in the picture and more parmesan.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...